This antique Tabriz rug is following the design of the Caucasian Kuba and Shirvan rugs from the 19th century in the "Afshan" Design (stylized dragon and blossom). The Caucasian area rugs are general in the smaller 4×6 size. What makes this truly one-of-kind is that the design and pattern of those small rugs are implemented in a larger room size with the same details in color palate. The use of the geometric forms and bright colors throughout makes a truly wonderful design. This is part of the identical pair (1260 and 1261) that was most likely commissioned to a top rug weaver in the city of Tabriz in NW Persia and custom-designed and made in the 2nd quarter of the 20th century as a wedding gift.
- Dimensions: 6' 7″ x 9' 9″
- Date of Manufacture: 2nd Quarter of 20th Century
- Place of Origin: NW Persia
- Material: Wool pile on a cotton foundation with vegetable dyes
- Condition: Wear consistent with age and use
Rug ID: 1260